But this week, I came to the proverbial podcast mic with something specific on my mind: the importance of tone in your content.
You see, early last week, I was having a discussion with an account manager about a case study. We had received some feedback from a client regarding the potential inclusion of an element that, in my mind, would have dimished the power of the final product.
Unlike a blog post, an eBook or a webinar, case studies are supposed to be results-focused, because readers don't want to be burdened by mounds of editorializing and exposition. In fact, the more fluff you try to put into a case study - no matter how noble your intent - the more you may undermine or water down the actual point of your success story.
This is just one example of how tone and message choices matter, when you're creating content for your business. So, that's what we're talking about this week.
Because, as we all know, often it's not just what you say, but also how you say it.
Listen to this Episode:
WHAT DID WE TALK ABOUT?
- What is the difference between voice and tone?
- Why does a brand's tone need to change, and how can you do it effectively?
- How do we create guidlines around tone that work for our clients?
- What are the dangers of not paying attention to your tone when creating content?
- Brand style guide template (Ungated for a limited time)
- Episode 30: How to Boost Creativity and Stay Inspired
- New Yorker: U Up? (Daily Shouts)
- New Yorker: I Work from Home (Daily Shouts)
- Liz's guest stint on the Scripted podcast
Get in Touch and Spread the Creator’s Block Love
What did you think of this episode? Is there another topic or question you want us to take on? Or do you just want to say hi? Reach out to us on Twitter at @CreatorsBlockHQ or using the hashtag #creatorsblockparty. You can say hi to me at @naptownpint and Shelby at @shelbstheging. You can also join us in the Creator's Block Podcast group on Facebook, where you can ask questions and get inspired.
And don’t forget - whether you love us or hate us - we would really appreciate you reviewing our podcast on iTunes!
…until next week!