Not long ago, Pepsi came under fire for a television advertisement, featuring Kendall Jenner, and for good reason. To put it mildly, the soda giant stumbled in their attempt to leverage a political conversation to sell soda, and it fell flat with consumers.
(Heck, they even got parodied by SNL.)
So, this week, Shelby and I discuss what went wrong with that ad and what marketers can learn from it, as well as how businesses can effectively "newsjack" for their own marketing, without becoming a social media - and late night television - punchline.
Listen to this Episode:
What Did We Talk About?
- What went wrong with the Pepsi ad?
- Should politics play a role in advertising?
- What brands have gotten it right?
- How do you implement a newsjacking strategy if you don't do traditional advertising?
- How have we done like work for clients?
- DiGiorno Pizza Live Tweets the Sound of Music Live
- How Oreo Won the Marketing Super Bowl with a Timely Blackout Ad on Twitter
- Charmin: "Don't forget to look down before your speech."
- KITKAT: "We don't bend. We #break."
- Norwegian Air: "Brad is single."
Get in Touch and Spread the Creator’s Block Love
What did you think of this episode? Is there another topic or question you want us to take on? Or do you just want to say hi? Reach out to us on Twitter at @CreatorsBlockHQ or using the hashtag #creatorsblockparty. You can say hi to me at @naptownpint and Shelby at @shelbstheging. You can also join us in the Creator's Block Podcast group on Facebook, where you can ask questions and get inspired.
And don’t forget - whether you love us or hate us - we would really appreciate you reviewing our podcast on Apple Podcasts!
…until next week!