Creator's Block co-host Liz Murphy is away this week, so I had a very special guest join me on this week's episode – previous Creator's Block co-host Jessie-Lee Nichols!
(cue raucous applause and cheering)
So essentially, while the word nerd is away, the designers will play!
In this week's episode, Jessie-Lee and I bring back the topic of brand style guides in order to dive into what goes into a successful visual style guide – it's more than just logos. We also go over why we use them in the first place, how we get buy-in from our teammates and how we build them out. Plus, I get a little peek into Jessie-Lee's new life as an in-house marketing manager, and how this has driven her to start building out a brand style guide for her company.
Listen in to hear what we have to say, and to hear Jessie-Lee's wonderful voice again!
Listen to this Episode:
What Did We Talk About?
- Jessie-Lee's experiences working in an agency versus working in-house
- What pains and issues can a visual brand style guide solve?
- Why does your business need visual brand style guides?
- Why does not having visual brand style guides suck for you and your business?
- How can you improve brand consistency and collaboration with visual brand style guides?
- What are the elements that go into a visual brand style guide?
- What rules and items are necessary in a style guide, and what are nice-to-haves?
- What tools can you use to build and share your brand style guides?
- Where to find Jessie-Lee: @jhyphenl
- Creator's Block Episode 5: Why You Need Brand Style Guides (and How to Make Them)
- Sony World Photography Awards 2017 (#12 and #3 were our favorites)
- DDC (Draplin Design Company) Hardware typeface
Get in Touch and Spread the Creator’s Block Love
What did you think of this episode? Is there another topic or question you want us to take on? Or do you just want to say hi? Reach out to us on Twitter at @CreatorsBlockHQ or using the hashtag #creatorsblockparty. You can say hi to me at @shelbstheging and Liz at @naptownpint. You can also join us in the Creator's Block Podcast group on Facebook, where you can ask questions and get inspired.
And don’t forget - whether you love us or hate us - we would really appreciate you reviewing our podcast on iTunes!
…until next week!